Admission and Catchment Area
Applying for a place at Bangabandhu
Bangabandhu is an inclusive and popular school where we aim to meet the needs of all children, including those with disabilities.
London Borough of Tower Hamlets manages Nursery, Reception and all ‘in-year’ admissions and we have adopted Tower Hamlet’s admissions policy and allocate school places...
... in this order of priority:
- Children looked after by Tower Hamlets including adopted children who were previously looked after and children who leave care under a special guardianship or residence order.
- Children for whom it is deemed there is strong educational or medical or social reason to attend the school.
- Children who have brothers and sisters already attending the school.
- Children who live within the catchment area of Bangabandhu (Area 1 Stepney).
- Children who live outside the catchment area of Bangabandhu.
If you would like your children to attend Bangabandhu more information about admission is available from the school office or you can contact Tower Hamlets Admissions team by writing to the following address:
Pupil Admissions Team
Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent
You can also telephone the admissions team on 020 7364 6495 or
E-mail them email@example.com.
Starting School in Tower Hamlets – for 5-year-olds (Reception)
Parents and Guardians should make their application for a Reception school place in the year their child turns four.
The stages of application are:
- Tower Hamlets sends out a booklet to the homes of all children in the Local Authority who are going to be five during the next academic year.
- Parents or Carers complete an application form (online or in writing). It is essential that you name at least two other choices for schools in order to ensure you secure a place at one of your preferred schools. The admission form should be returned to the Local Authority by the date given.
- The Local Authority sends out a list to each school which gives details of the places applied for and pupils who have allocated places in the school. Written confirmation is then sent to your home address, usually in May in the academic year before your child is due to start in Reception.
- We will then contact you directly to invite you to a meeting at the school.
- If your child is not accepted into your first choice school, you have the right to appeal.
The above is a brief summary. The booklet ‘Starting School in Tower Hamlets: a guide for parents’ will detail everything you need to know. This is available from the Tower Hamlets website www.towerhamlets.gov.uk in the Primary School Admissions section.
Click here for our Welcome to our Reception Slideshow for Parents.
Visiting Our School
We really welcome visits to Bangabandhu so that you can find out first-hand about our school which we are very proud of.
If you would like to visit, please contact the school on 020 8980 0586 or email the school office firstname.lastname@example.org and we will aim to organise a visit as soon as possible. Our Executive Headteacher, Ms Marie Maxwell likes to personally show all prospective parents around.
Our School Prospectus
Our school prospectus is currently being developed and will be uploaded once completed.
Click here for our Welcome to our Nursery Booklet for Parents.